Prayer is so so important, yet it can be one of the trickiest things. If we truly believe that things will happen because we pray, then why wouldn’t we?!
Me and my friends were talking the other week about different ways we pray – it was so interesting! If you struggle to find ways of praying that work for you, take a look at this list and try some new ways out.
- Get out of your bedroom – it’s helpful to go somewhere where there isn’t a job that needs doing or work that needs finishing. Find space for just you and God.
- Get into nature – creation is a great prayer fuel.
- Prayer journal – writing prayers down like a letter or diary can be helpful, especially if you get easily distracted. Sometimes I find that when I read back what I’ve written I see God speaking back to me through it too.
- With friends – it can feel super cringe to begin with but once you get over that it’s amazing to be able to really do business with God, and with your friends too!
- Out loud – saying it out loud is helpful to just get it out there. I have a friend who puts their headphones in and talks to God like they would as if they were calling someone.
- Use technology – setting reminders on your phone, using apps like ‘prayer mate’ or even texting your prayers can be helpful, especially as a reminder to keep praying for things.
- Pinterest, the bible, thankfulness – these are just a few things that may spur you into praying. Sometimes when I read something on Pinterest, spend time in the bible or reflect on things I’m grateful for it helps kick start me praying.
- Short, sweet and often – if you get struggle praying for a long time then don’t stress! I rarely pray for more than 5 minutes but I pray quite frequently. One liner prayers are just as powerful.
- Remember it’s relationship not religion – God’s not going to be angry if you forget to pray. He wants you to pray because he wants to talk to you, just like your friends like spending time with you.
- Be you, be bold and believe it will happen – it would be weird if a child never asked their parent for anything or was never honest with how they were really feeling. The same is true with God. Often, we can filter what we are thinking to pray something that feels more religious or less rude. God knows what you are thinking anyway so don’t bother! He loves you and he also likes you. He really loves hearing what you’ve got to say so don’t be scared.