This was a question I asked myself three years ago, and I’m sure many others have too! Over my three years at university I met people that came for all different reasons, so here is a list of some good reasons, and some not-so-good reasons to make the leap and spend £9k a year on university:
The Good List
- To study a course, you love. Some people study a course because their family or friends told them to. But remember they are not the one’s going to study the course for you. You are the one who’s going to be pulling the all -nighters to get that essay or coursework in on time. So you should study a course you love and know you will enjoy!
- To meet new people. University is a great opportunity to meet people from all around the world. To learn different cultures, languages and traditions. University is also a chance to network with other people who are like minded, you never know who you might meet!
- To develop your interests and talents. University is a place to be yourself. It’s place where you can study a course to love, but also take part in sports and societies. You can always make your own society if there isn’t one for you, the possibilities are endless.
The Not-So-Good List
- To get away from home. Getting away from home may sound nice at first until you realise you have to do a lot yourself. No one’s going to be there to clean your dishes, pay your rent on time or wake you up for your lectures. University comes with a lot of independence and responsibility, and some people actually end up missing home more than they expected!
- I don’t know what else to do. University shouldn’t be rushed in to, it’s a huge life decision so take time to think about it properly. If you don’t know what else to do, look up different career options and talk to as many people as you can about it but, repeat after me: Don’t Rush!
- Everyone else is going to university. Never do something because everyone else is. Find out what YOU want to do and work towards it!
These are just a few of the things to consider when making your decision, and if you’re still unsure remember that God has planned out all your days! He’s got incredible things in store for you.